Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My boyfriend and I had a baby 5 months ago. We have since parted ways and he has filed papers with an attorney (contents unknown as yet). I care for the baby essentially 100% of the time and receive no financial assistance from the father. How should I proceed? What should I do to ensure I remain the primary caregiver and the baby reside with me. I am also looking for pro bono services or a lawyer servicing low-income individuals. The father's uncle is a prominent family law lawyer in Florida. Many thanks!

Asked on 5/09/13, 6:15 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Natalie Hall The Law Office of Natalie D. Hall, P.A.

Since you do not yet know what has been filed, it is hard to determine a defense/response to the filing. Parents have to support their children. Any filing for Paternity or Time Sharing (visitation) will also address child support.

The age of the baby, his/her need, the role each parent has played since birth, living condition, background of the parent and a host of factor will determine the time sharing schedule. It is not unusual for the schedule to address differing visitation schedule as the child gets older.

You should sit down with an attorney the minute you are served with documents.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/13, 8:08 am

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

If he is using a lawyer then for sure you need one. You can wait to be served or get the documents directly from the clerk

Read more
Answered on 5/09/13, 10:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida