Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

my child ran away and was missing off and on for almost a year. Mother refuses to pay child support based on a provision in the final judgment that states child support ends if the child "leaves the home" or is "self supporting". The child was a missing runaway, arrested for various petty crimes and ran away every time she was found. Is the child support enforceable?

Asked on 9/25/13, 8:42 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Smitten Carey and Leisure


Read more
Answered on 9/25/13, 12:53 pm

Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

I may have to disagree with Mr. Smitten. Based on what you said - I am sure the decree didn't not state "leave home" as a run away. If this meant getting married or no longer attending school, then yes - no support. However, It is kind of a blur without seeing the papers and reading exactly what was stated. So therefore, unless I know what is in the papers I am not sure this would be a "no" as Mr. Smitten has stated.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/13, 6:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida