Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Is it a form of child abuse if a parent will not allow a child to take medication that would help with anxiety, mood, and concentration? My daughter and her ex husband have joint custody of their 7 year old daughter. Their daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, OCD, and Level 2 autism. She struggles in school with concentration and relationships with her peers. She has a 504 plan which allows her to get special help in certain situations. Both parents have to agree to put her on medication in order for her to get it. The father doesn't believe in medication of any kind and doesn't believe there is anything wrong with his daughter. The child lives with her mother so the father never has to deal with the teachers' frustrations because he only has her for weekends and some holidays.

Asked on 12/06/22, 12:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

The mother must petition the court to remove the father from this decision.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/22, 2:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida