Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

I have applied for Deferred Action and was wondering if it would be possible to change this in to a permanent residence instead of temporary through my Mother who is eligible to be a Citizen while still being under the status of Deferred Action ?

Asked on 11/30/12, 9:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Natalie Hall The Law Office of Natalie D. Hall, P.A.

If you entered the country legally but you are subsequently out of status and you are under 21 years of age, then when your mother becomes a citizen she will be able to apply for your permanent residency as her immediate relative.

If you are not under 21 you will not be immediately eligible for a green card but will have to wait for a number of years.

Furthermore, if you did not enter the country with inspection but entered illegally, then you are not able to adjust status (change to green card holder/permanent residency while remaining in the US) but must leave the country to apply at the consulate in your original country at which point you may be barred from reentering the US.

Call my office for a free consultation to discuss your options.

(407) 412-7035

[email protected]

Note- the information provided here is general in nature and does not create an attorney/client relationship of any kind.

Read more
Answered on 1/14/13, 5:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida