Legal Question in Immigration Law in Florida

I came to the U.S on a J1 Visa. I have been married to a U.S Citizen for Over a year now. However I have not filed for my green card yet and My Visa has Expired Several Months Ago. My Husband has been convicted of Felony Several Years ago And is currently on probation. Does Any of this Effect my Green Card Application? Also I have been Working as well on the books. Please Help me on what I should I do.. What are my chances to attain a Green Card With all this Above applying to me. Is it possible or not?

Asked on 4/25/17, 9:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul V. Suppicich Maney, Gordon, Zeller, P.A.

Many J-1 visa holders are subject to a two-year foreign residence requirement and are unable to adjust here in the U.S. The two-year home residency requirement means that those who come the U.S. in J-1 status cannot become permanent residents in the U.S., change status in the U.S., or get work or family-based visa status such as H, L or K until they return to their country of last permanent residence for at least two years cumulatively. You and your spouse need to sit down face-to-face with a competent immigration attorney near you to discuss your matter as soon as possible.

Read more
Answered on 4/25/17, 10:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Florida