Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

I pay 600 a month for a 1/1 duplex. I have been without A/C for two weeks, but has been an ongoing issue for three. I have contacted the PM company over 6 times between phone calls and the first initial requests. I keep getting told that they are ordering supplies, this has been over a week now, and most of the time they do not return my phone calls. What is a reasonable amount of time to expect them to get this fixed? I live in Florida and its over 90 degrees everyday. I had to buy a window unit for my bedroom, and I cannot use the stove otherwise the home is unbearable. Can I demand compensation and a deduction on rent for this issue? Is there anywhere I can report this so they take me seriously?

Asked on 6/16/19, 9:22 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Kaufman The Law Office of Barry W. Kaufman

Can you ask for a reduction or compensation? Of course you can ask, and you probably should. What you cannot do is arbitrarily withhold any part of the monthly rent.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/19, 9:37 am
Diane Downs Diane Downs

Florida law does not require a landlord to provided air conditioning unless it says so in your lease. If your lease states that air conditioning will be provided, then it must be in good working condition. If you gave your PM a written notice about the air conditioning, not a phone call, then you can give them a 7-day notice to put them on alert. If they don't fix it within that 7 days, you may be able to either break the lease, move out and get your security deposit back. You cannot withhold your rent without a court order. You can ask for compensation or reduction in rent because of the inconvenience, but without seeing your lease, it is impossible to give you any advice. I suggest you see a landlord/tenant attorney.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/19, 9:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida