Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

Joint Tenancy

My husband purchased a house before our marriage and I am not on the deed. Do we have to do a joint tenancy to ensure that if he passes away the house goes to me, or in the State of Florida does that automatically happen because we are married? Is there another way to do this besides a joint tenancy?

Asked on 3/15/02, 6:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joel Cohen Joel M. Cohen,P.A.

Re: Joint Tenancy

If you are not on the deed to the residence you both occupy and your spouse dies, you will be entitled to a life estate. When you die his heirs (blood) get it.Your spouse can either put you on the deed now or leave it to you in his will. Get a deed.

Read more
Answered on 3/16/02, 9:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida