Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

hi we are located in Miami. Our tenants contacted us through email and advised they were leaving the country and broke the apartment lease. We advised them that they will have to pay rent until we found another tenant and they agreed. They left and as agreed we put the property in the market but hasn't rented as of yet. They were supposed to pay rent each month until it gets rented but this month they haven't... I have contacted them twice without hearing back telling them that they are at default as per our binding contract ending at the end of the year. What can I do? can I initiate litigation without them being in the country? I just want them to pay rent until the property gets rented again. please advise. thanks

Asked on 7/31/19, 7:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

The binding contract being the initial lease agreement? You allowed them to leave subject to some modification requiring to pay rental until you re-leased property? was that reduced to writing? You can sue them for the rental not paid, but you have to serve them out of the country now. You also need to continue to attempt to re-lease property.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/19, 1:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida