Legal Question in Social Security Law in Florida

I recently won an ssdi overpayment case. While I am extremely relieved, now I am waiting for Social Security to take this off of my record AND return my tax refund money that they took from me before the judge had made his decision in my favor. According to social security it can take up to 45 days for this to happen. Is there anything I can do to speed up this process? I was counting on this money to pay my rent and they are aware of this. I went in personally with the judges letter and also called the 800 number. I am frustrated that they have over $ 2,000 of my money and my credit still shows the debt.

Asked on 4/02/17, 11:59 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

When it comes to money issues this is the classic situation that the government trusts no one especially their own employees when it comes to paying something to a citizen. In my experience it would be extremely unusual for you to be paid within 90 days; if you are not paid by then my only recommendation would be to contact your Congressional representative. Personal hardship meant nothing to the Obama Social Security Administration, too soon to tell about the current one.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/17, 12:41 pm
Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.

contact your congressional representative asap. However as to the refund, I suggest you contact the State of Florida and find an organization that can help you. You may be on the phone all day but eventually they will direct you to an organization that can resolve your issues. I say this as my son was injured with no insurance. I discovered that the State pays for victim insurance for hospitalization. So until you try you just don't know.

Read more
Answered on 4/03/17, 7:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Florida