Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

I took car of my parents for 15 years as a live in care giver and now they have passed away and the estate is being settled my family thinks I should have to pay them rent for all the time I lived there. Can they do that? And can I charge them for 24 hour care for our parents?

Asked on 4/10/19, 3:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

There may be additional information that is needed to fully and correctly answer your question, but based on the information you provided, unless there was a written agreement that you signed, you should not be obligated to pay any rent. Likewise, unless there was a personal care agreement (a formally signed document) or a provision in their will or living trust, then you will likely not be able to collect money related to the care you provided. However, I strongly recommend that you immediately consult with a probate attorney in your area that has experience with probate litigation to protect your interests and since it sounds like this will lead to a contentious probate.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/19, 6:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida