Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My Great Aunt died on 7/11/11 in Manatee county Florida. My great Uncle passed away before her and they had no children. I was the executor of her will and she left everything to me. I had durable power of attorney so before she died I transferred her mobile home to my sister and later sold it and gave her the money. My Aunt died with no known debts. My aunt left life insurance to her estate in the amount of $15,500, but didn't list me as beneficiary which is now with the state of Florida. Years ago we had trouble getting death certificates for my Aunts sister and husband (My Grandparents) from up north so the money was given to the state. I see probate and I see disposition without administration. Which legal action do I need to take to collect the money from the state of Florida ?

Asked on 6/23/22, 8:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Shigo The Shigo Law Firm, P.A.

Since your Great Aunt has been dead for more than two years, the most direct way is to probate the Will in a summary administration. The Order of summary administration will assign you the assets of the estate. You will then need to provide a certified copy of that order (and other documentation) to support your claim to the proceeds at It may be best to get the claim form first so you know how the insurance company designated the funds.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/22, 9:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida