Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My great grandfather is in ICU right now, and we had printed and signed power of attorney papers offline last year. Well his step sons wife went into his house and stole both copies of those papers and is trying to say since we dont have them or a written will, pour over , etc than they are putting him in a nursing home. The hospital took a copy, but I just want to make sure we have everything we need. What forms do we need so I have control of his medical and financial before and after he passes? As this is what he wants. I am also the beneficary on 3 life insurance policies he has.

Asked on 3/31/13, 2:22 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.

You should have, executed by him, a health care directive designating you as his

health care surrogate, a durable power of attorney (both terminate at his death);

after his death distribution of his estate will be controlled by a last will or trust, but

neither affects the designation of a beneficiary in a life insurance policy, CD, annuity,

or related financial instrument. This is general legal advice; for specifics seek

counsel with a full set of facts and present documents.

Read more
Answered on 3/31/13, 2:35 pm
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

A POA has no effect after death.

Read more
Answered on 3/31/13, 5:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida