Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Can a 16 adoptee change custody of herself back to get natural parent? Or do any custody change from the legal parents? I know adoptions are permanent however, are there any bends in that law? A 2 yr old was adopted by his grandparents and with his mother relinquishing her rights. As irrelevant as it may be, his mother was abusing drugs at the time and did not fully understand how permanent adoptions were until until yrs later when she turned her life around. Now, at 16 yes old that adopted child no longer wants to live with the grandparents, but with his mother. Is there anyway, after all these years, for the mother to undo what was done then or is there a way the child can petition the court and ask for the legal right be returned to his mother or would it be best he just ask for legal rights to himself for himself such as emancipation? I know it’s all a long shot but I had to ask. Ty.

Asked on 6/23/18, 2:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

Short answer... No. Children cannot even file cases as to custody and adoptions don't get reversed. Potentially, if your mother wanted to adopt you she could, if a court approved but only if your "grandparents" who are legally your parents consented.

Even at 17 emancipation is almost never granted in Georgia. At 16 it is about as rare as being struck by lightning. To qualify you'd have to be self supporting and couldn't live with anyone and be making enough to pay your rent, food, clothes, car, utilities, health and car insurance and clothes and also have time for school.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/18, 6:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia