Legal Question in Insurance Law in Georgia

My grandfather passed away in 1995. He opened a life insurance policy in 1987. My elderly grandmother told me yesterday that she never informed them of his death. She cannot find the policy and didnt know what to do. They have been taking 15$ a month out of her account since 1987. What should she do?

Asked on 2/28/14, 4:15 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

David Glass Law Offices of David H. Glass, LLC

I would need to read the original policy to determine whether she would have any recovery from the policy. I would be guessing, but it is likely not recoverable. However, if you would want me to review the policy, you need to look at her bank statements, and contact that insurance company. Write a formal letter requesting a copy of the original policy. And, by all means, let them know the monthly deductions should have terminated back in 1995.

Read more
Answered on 2/28/14, 4:33 pm
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

I honestly can't fathom why she let the money come out all this time, but the answer is easy. She needs to write them, send them a death certificate, and request the death benefit. She doesn't need the policy to do that. She should ask for all the premiums back since death but she may or may not get all of those. In her letter she should also request a copy of the policy.

Read more
Answered on 2/28/14, 5:06 pm

Talk with an insurance attorney in Georgia, there may be an issue that you're missing as it's never always that simple. Many attorneys would take such a case on a contingent fee basis meaning that, if they don't recover, you don't owe them anything. Check out: for more information on Life Insurance Claims.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/14, 5:34 am
Ronald Arthur Lowry Ronald Arthur Lowry

What Mr. Ashman told you to do is correct. If they will not provide you with a copy of the policy, pay the face amount of the policy and refund the amount they have received in premium since death, contact an attorney who is experienced in insurance claims immediately.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/14, 11:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Georgia