Legal Question in Insurance Law in Georgia

In the state of Georgia, the state provides for diminished value of the vehicle when it is in a car accident. I was struck by a teenager who rear ended someone propelling that person into my car. The insurance company for the teenager pay for the repair of my car which took over a week, with several hundreds of dollars, and the repair was not done well and within a week part of the bumper popped out. The insurance company offered $50 in diminished value, which I believe that regardless of miles on car (80k and in great condition) anyone who found out the car was in an accident would not offer me $15950 instead of $16000 if I were to sell it today. I think $1000 -$2000 diminished value is reasonable, as that’s how much less I would offer someone in a private sale. Who do I sue, the teenager’s parents or the insurance company?

Asked on 4/24/18, 4:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

You can't sue the insurer. You can sue the teen/family. But $1000 to $2000 is highly unlikely. There are companies that calculate diminished value. Talk to some and then get back with the insurer before weighing suit.

Read more
Answered on 4/24/18, 4:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Georgia