Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Hawaii

My mother took care of my grandmother until she passed away. She had a joint account w/my grandmother to transfer stock liquidation checks. There was money left in the account and her legal counsel advised that she did not need to disburse the money to the other children. The family is now suing her for legal fees and an accounting of the money. The attorney that advised her to keep the money rather than disbursing it to the others now says she should not have kept it. She is looking for a new attorney to represent her at the hearing. What type of attorney should she be looking for?

Asked on 7/04/10, 3:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jon Zahaby Tour bus, scenic and sightseeing, operation

She should look for a Litigation attorney experienced with Probate and possibly malpractice matters. She may have a defenses or a counter-claim for the monies she spent caring for the grandmother. This is called set-off. Aloha, Jon A. Zahaby, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/10, 6:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Hawaii