Legal Question in Construction Law in Illinois

I live in Byron Il. My city, instead of repaving my road; have decided to fill all the cracks with tar strips. This created a severe safety risk for motorcyclists. It is like riding on ice. I constantly have my wife or child with me, and the City's decision to use these tar strips; has introduced a very serious safety hazard. An accident is just waiting to happen. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated..Thanks for your time!

Asked on 7/09/18, 8:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Municipalities will do what they think best. You have a good point. Sounds like this is something that your public works department is handling. You may want to start there, express your concern, and if you get no place take it to the next level - village manager or whoever is up the ladder.... You may even want to go to a public meeting and express your concerns, or write a letter. Or to a newspaper if you get no place, or contact a local cycle dealer and see if they'll make a pitch. But in the end, if the town only has $ for this fix, and there is no other practical solution, you may be stuck due to fiscal limitations.... Maybe they'd be willing to post signs...... But otherwise mounting a 'legal action' on your own is improbable. About the best I think you can do is put them 'on notice' of the problem, so if there is an accident, the victim may be able to use the notice favorably...... Then again there are limits on what one can sue a town for.....

Read more
Answered on 7/09/18, 1:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Illinois