Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

How do I state my "Marriage registration" record on my Petition for Dissolution of Marriage?

Situation: My husband I married in Taiwan before we both became US citizens. We never went to local Circuit Clerk Office to register our marriage. We hold the notarized Marriage License issued by the court in Taiwan. This document was used in our immigration application, as well as all the US government legal documents including Tax Returns. We have been living in Illinois but moved between counties (DeKalb - Cook - Kane). Not sure how to put it on my divorce document and if itís possible that I can find the record from the State of Illinois?

Asked on 2/03/16, 12:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

You marriage was registered in the place where it happened. there was and is no need to register it anywhere else.

"I was married on 1/11/2011 and the marriage was registered in Whatever Prefecture or whatever the political unit may be called, Taiwan ."

Read more
Answered on 2/03/16, 1:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois