Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

dna paternity is proven, I would like to be named as father on birth certificate and know what my rights are. the mother and I are not married and not in a relationship, she and daughter live with her mother and step-father.

Asked on 1/28/16, 3:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

It depends on many factors. It is not a slam dunk that the last name will change. It depends on 1) mother agreeing 2) age of child 3) other factors - the law has just changed. new statute says

(g) If the judgment or order of the court is at variance with the child's birth certificate, the court shall order that a new birth certificate be issued under the Vital Records Act.

(h) On the request of both parents, the court shall order a change in the child's name.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/16, 3:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois