Legal Question in Federal Tort Claims in Illinois

Federal Civil Complaint assistance

I currently have a civil complaint filed against me in Federal court. The judge has stated to both sides that a settlement conference be held before our next court date. I have not even filed my answer because I cannot find an attorney to take my case pro-bono. I also do not know what type of evidence they have against me because I know I did not commit the crime they are accusing me of. Do I have the right to see the evidence? If so, how do I go about asking to see this evidence? I am scared and confused and cannot seem to get any assistance and the judge stated I cannot have a court appointed attorney.

Asked on 12/13/07, 12:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Re: Federal Civil Complaint assistance

In civil cases you are not entitled to a court appointed lawyer--those are only available in criminal cases.

You do have a right to see the evidence they have--in fact, pursuant to Federal Rule 26 the other side MUST disclose everything they have to you even without you asking for it.

Prepare a letter to them and ask them to make the required disclosures pursuant to Rule 26.

This will give you an idea as to what it is they have.

Contact my office and speak with Angela--I can take a look at the things you have and see where you stand.

I hope this helps,

Taradji Law Offices

Read more
Answered on 12/13/07, 6:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Federal Tort Claims Act Litigation questions and answers in Illinois