Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

ihave lived at my current address four years now landlord of duplex next door keeps renting to drug dealers and junkies. all have been arrested, some have received prison time problem continues. I would like to move but am disabled, on disability, so it is not an easy thing for me to do. is it possible to sue this landlord and make him pay for this move as his choices of tenants has lead to safety concerns and quality of life issues.

Asked on 3/06/14, 5:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Betty Tsamis Tsamis Law Firm PC

You should consider bringing a nuisance claim against the landlord in court. First, think about consulting with a tenant rights attorney.

If you do not engage an attorney, you should consider sending a certified letter to the landlord outlining the problems. Speak to the police to see if they can support your letter with police reports or a letters from a supervising police officer. Give the landlord a deadline to remedy the problem. If landlord does not comply by remedying the problem, you then file a complaint in court.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/14, 5:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois