Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

Made a terrible decision. Co signed a loan with my ex back in August 2012. He is responsible for the payments, I am just the one who had the good credit at the time. He keeps stating that I owe him money, which I don't (he said she said). He has been defaulting on the loan quite frequently and I have to pick up the slack on it. We are both currently in default for the loan. I am refusing to pay $400 because they failed to contact me when he didn't make his payment on 12/15. I was wondering if I were to get a loan for the pay off quote, paid the financial institution.. Could I turn around and sue him for the pay off quote and other fees?

Asked on 12/27/13, 2:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joseph Brabender Brabender & Chiang LLC

You would be suing on an oral contract, at best. Moreover, the ex may very well be collection proof (no assets, no substantial income). You are right, you made a horrible decision and your best bet is to try to convince him to contribute to the payments too. Hopefully the loan isn't too big.

Read more
Answered on 12/27/13, 7:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois