Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

Can I sue boyfiend over a broken arrangement and loss from potential gain of a property investment.

My boyfriend and I planned to buy a house together in Chicago. I sent him $15,000 cash for half of the downpayment. He signed the contract only in his own name because I was in Australia at the time. We agreed that he would add my name later on closing date. I was actively involved in finding the property and negotiating the sale price. A few days before settlement date 20th May, 2016, he broke with me. He closed the house in his name and returned my cash. There is a $45,000 difference between the purchasing price of $140,000 and the bank appraisal price of $185,000. Do I have grounds to sue for the half difference $22,500?

Asked on 7/15/16, 5:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elfreda Dockery Law Office of Elfreda Dockery


Read more
Answered on 7/15/16, 7:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois