Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My brother is currently listed as the executor of my parents will. He dies recently. Can I write up the codicil to change the executor on the will-have my parents sign it in the presents of two witnesses who will not benefit from the estate?

Asked on 4/08/10, 8:29 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Labovitz Labovitz Law Firm, P.A.

I would suggest you have an attorney prepare the codicil. It shouldn't cost very much for a simple codicil changing the executor and it pays to have it done right.

Read more
Answered on 4/14/10, 4:56 am
Steve Raminiak Law Offices of Steve Raminiak, P.C.

I agree with Mr. Labovitz. While a codicil is a simple document, it can be invaluable to involve an attorney at this point. An attorney can spot problems that you might miss. Also, some of your family members may complicate matters if you are nominated to act under a Codicil that you had such a large part in creating.

Read more
Answered on 4/14/10, 7:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois