Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My ex-husband passed away with no will. My adult son is his only heir. He owned a dilapidated house and was only owner. Can my son use a small estate affidavit? His estate is probably less than $15,000. If we can't use it for the real estate can we use it for the rest of the estate and file probate for the real estate. We do not have the capital to pay for a lawyer.

Asked on 5/29/22, 9:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

There is some likelihood you can handle the sale of the property through a title company insuring a buyer and that a Small Estate Affidavit can be used for the non-real estate assets. I suggest an initial consultation with an attorney, however, to consider any risks, obstacles, etc.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/22, 9:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois