Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

I'm trying to see how to unclaimed money from my great aunt? She passed in 2009, but I found out that she has money that haven't been claimed mainly from insurance and life insurance. I don't think she has a will, I don't have her death certificate and I don't how to get that if I don't have anything in writing that I'm looking after her estate.

Asked on 5/11/21, 9:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steve Raminiak Law Offices of Steve Raminiak, P.C.

For a death certificate, if she died in Illinois, inquire at the Illinois Department of Public Health. If she died elsewhere, check with the similar agency in that State.

To inquire as to unclaimed property, inquire at a certain site for the Illinois State Treasurer. However, you may have to inquire also with the insurance company itself, or with the Treasurers of other states.

In regards to whether she had a Will, check to see if one has been filed with the Clerk of Court in the county in which she resided (where it should have been filed, if any), in the county where she died or owned real estate if that was not her county of residence (where it may have been filed by mistake, if any). Also, inquire with the Illinois Secretary of State’s office as to their Will repository.

Read more
Answered on 5/12/21, 8:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois