Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

I hurt my back in January I had 4 shots 1 decompression and a lumbar fusion , my company will only hold my job for one year so does my work comp end if my company lets me go

Asked on 11/16/13, 1:35 pm

5 Answers from Attorneys

Mike Helfand

Not at all, but it would change the plan of action that needs to take place in the work comp case. If you want to discuss it, please email me your number or call me at 800-517-1614

Read more
Answered on 11/16/13, 1:45 pm
Jeffrey Shancer Law Offices of Jeffrey M. Shancer

No, your weekly total temporary disability checks will not end, even if your employer does not hold your job. There is no limitation on the duration of the payments. As long as you are unable to work, they must continue sending the payments. Depending on what you do for a living and your level of function once treatment is completed, you may be eligible for vocational rehab training thereafter. You should also be aware that you are entitled to a lump sum award or settlement for your injuries. I wish you a speedy recovery. Do not hesitate to call me with any questions. Thank you for your inquiry. Jeffrey M. Shancer, 312/795-9000

Read more
Answered on 11/16/13, 2:12 pm
Matt Belcher Belcher Law Office

Don't worry. A worker's compensation claim exists without regard to your continued employment. (On some occasions, the claim does not even arise until after an employment relationship ends.)

There is no need for any concern - until - you have been, or are about to be, released to return to work by the treating physician; at that stage, you should obtain a free legal consultation to discuss the details of your rights under the law.

A full-duty release may end your right to 'wage replacement' benefits but ANY removal from your regular job duties for120 days (which deadline seems to have already elapsed) would entitle you to a vocational rehabilitation plan, which should have already been filed at the Workers' Compensation Commission.

It can get a bit tricky, so telephone calls and face-to-face meetings with an experienced law firm are best to avoid misunderstandings.

Sorry about this dilema and I wish you luck.

Matt Belcher


Read more
Answered on 11/16/13, 2:21 pm
Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

Please contact an WC attorney ASAP. My office can help you if you need guidance.

Read more
Answered on 11/16/13, 4:01 pm
Charles Candiano Candiano Law Office

Whether you remain employed has NOTHING to do with continuation of your benefits. In Illinois, you will definitely be short-changed if you do not have an experienced Workers' Compensation attorney.

Identify an attorney with the experience and resources to be a solid advocate, NOT someone who will prompt you to take the first offer just so they can get paid.

Candiano Law Office

Charles J. Candiano

53 West Jackson Blvd.

Suite 1337

Chicago, IL 60604

(888) 373-9964 toll-free

(312) 465-2914 telephone

(312) 624-8184 fax


email: [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/17/13, 10:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois