Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in India

defamation suit

Dear sir,

This is my question.

I lost golden ornaments worth of nearly 250 gms during a train journey in nov 07.Some one stolen the gold.we lodged police complaint with GRP. Police asked whether we have any doubt on any one.We have a strong doubt on one co-passenger who traveled along with us with his wife. They had waiting list tickets with them so they slept in between the births on the floor during night journey just adjacent to our luggage. This is reason why we suspected that couple.So police acted on our suspicion and found out the address of that suspect. The suspect and his wife turned out to be teachers in a school. Now police are reluctant to arrest them for interrogation. The reason what police stating is that if they arrest them and after interrogation if they turn out to be innocent, they may file a defamation suit against me. I am a central govt officer and my wife is a house wife. The complaint was lodged by my wife. But we have strong suspicion about that couple who traveled along with us. So what should I do now. Whether I should request the police to arrest the suspects or I should keep quite with fear of defamation suit.

please help

Asked on 5/13/08, 6:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Homi Maratha N.N. Maratha & Co.-Advocates

Re: defamation suit

If you dont have any strong eye witness or evidence i would strongly suggest you not to go for defamation suit.

If you are not able to prove the same it can be a trouble.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/08, 9:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in India