Legal Question in Insurance Law in India

regarding approaching IRDA

i want to know that if i want to

complain in IRDA regarding

mediclaim settlement , than what is

the procedure . To whom i can mail

or write ? and what is the email id

and address ? Is there any office in

ahmedabad where i can go and

register complain against insurance

company ?

Asked on 5/08/09, 12:52 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Vivek Mapara Vivek N. Mapara

Re: regarding approaching IRDA

The complaint by an aggrieved person has to be in writing, and addressed to the insurance Ombudsman of the jurisdiction under which the office of the insurer falls. The complaint can also be lodged through the legal heirs of the insured. Before lodging a complaint:

i) the complainant should have made a representation to the insurer named in the complaint and the insurer either should have rejected the complaint or the complainant have not received any reply within a period of one month after the concerned insurer has received his complaint or he is not satisfied with the reply of the insurer.

ii) The complaint is not made later than one year after the insurer had replied.

iii) The same complaint on the subject should not be pending with before any court, consumer forum or arbitrator.

There is insurance Ombudsmen in Ahmedabad city also. I am practising in Gujarat High Court, Ahmedabad. You can also contact me in case of any help required.

Besides the above, there is also Grievance Redressal Cell of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority which looks into complaints from policyholders. Complaints against Life and Non-life insurers are handled separately. This Cell plays a facilitative role by taking up complaints with the respective insurers. THere is separate complaint register form available for this.

Feel Free to contact.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/09, 3:23 pm
Rajneesh Malhotra Malhotra Advocates

Re: regarding approaching IRDA

Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority

3rd Floor, Parisrama Bhavan, Basheer Bagh HYDERABAD 500 004

Andhra Pradesh (INDIA )

Email:[email protected]


Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority

Delhi Office Gate No. 3

Jeevan Tara Building, First Floor

Sansad Marg, New Delhi-110001

Read more
Answered on 5/09/09, 10:20 am
Sudershan Goel India Law Offices of Sudershan Goel - Advocate

Re: regarding approaching IRDA

You may ind out the address of Ombudsman of your area and make him a written complaint.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/09, 11:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in India