Legal Question in Construction Law in Indiana

This is in Johnson County (Greenwood) Indiana. Had a claim adjuster come to my home, roofing contractor salesman asked to be there when this occurred, January 26, 2016. The salesman had me sign something, yes, even at the time, something told me not to do it. There really wasn’t much to it, I suppose I thought it was just a quote. He had me sign it with no numbers and no details of the work to be performed. He didn’t give me a copy.

I was unemployed at the time and the house needed a bunch of other work that I was trying to coordinate. I had no intention of having any repairs done until I was gainfully employed. The other day I received a voicemail form the owner. I thought he may have been calling me to find out why I didn’t want to use his company (I think he found out through another contractor) I thought to make it right. Instead he was threatening me, stating he had a signed contract. When I called him to discuss and try to explain how uncomfortable I was he didn’t want to hear anything. That the “contract” was blank and was changed less than five minutes after it was signed. I was so upset I forgot to tell him I didn’t even get a copy. Today I came home and it was on my mailbox. This reminded me that I wrote on there that there were no numbers, or something to that affect. Over three months later I get a copy.

No work has been done and no money has changed hands. What is my recourse? I really just want to be left alone and don’t want it to come back on me later. I’ve been thinking about selling, so that is always an option.

The part that bothers me the most about this is that it sounded like he’s been through this before on more than one occasion. And I really don’t want this guy on my property, never mind doing work to my home. I feel like I am being bullied. You can call, text or reply.

Asked on 5/11/18, 4:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

You really shouldn’t sign what you don’t read or understand. Take this to an attorney immediately so that he or she can fix this for you.

Read more
Answered on 5/12/18, 9:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Indiana