Legal Question in Discrimination Law in Indiana

termination of a 4 year contract

I work as an independent contractor obtaining health information for the insurance industry. All of my billing is handled through a well known company. Out of the blue I had another well known company that does that same work contact me and ask for my services. I said yes. They had me fill out paperwork for them and I faxed it back to them. The paperwork did not have their logo on it, but the company's logo that I already work with. Well, the background check came back and stated that I had a misdemeanor theft charge from 2003. I have worked wit the first company and told them about the charge from day one without an issue. Now all of a suuden it has become an issue and then sent me a letter in the mail stating that my services would no longer be needed. I believe that they information was privelged and was wrongly used against me I have always been an professional upstanding examiner without any complaints. In fact, I am eligible on August 21, 2008 to have my record expunged. Do I have the right take any legal action against either company. Emotionally, I have been a mess and my doctor had to put me on an anti-anxiety pill. Also, not to mention the loss in renue. Please help.

Asked on 8/13/07, 10:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: termination of a 4 year contract

I am sorry for your troubles. From the facts stated in your question, I can't see a legal remedy. Maybe some other lawyer can see something, so you should consult someone local experienced in civil rights and employment law. You might try the human remedy, and ask the people at your first company why this happened? And if it happened because of the theft problem and not because you were applying for employment with a competitor, then you could try to get them to give your job back. Does the crime report signify the same information you already shared? Or does it look worse? Try to gather all the facts you can about this. And meanwhile, look for other employment. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/07, 9:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in Indiana