Legal Question in Personal Injury in Indiana

lawsuit against a dead atty

is there anyway my son can get 20,000 back from an atty that took his check and spent the money, then died in a housefire, we later discovered he was adicted to painkillers and spent the money on them and Charles Deets lll's son(who is an atty also will not talk to us.

Asked on 3/04/07, 8:12 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Samuel Hasler Samuel Hasler

Re: lawsuit against a dead atty

It has been a year since Charles Deets died. If no estate was opened, then the answer is no. The son is not responsible for the debt unless he was a law partner with the father.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/07, 8:55 am
Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Re: lawsuit against a dead atty

It is terrible that you have had to experience this type of conduct!

There are many factors that could determine whether you have a cause of action against attorney's law firm or his estate, including the date of his death, whether an estate was opened in a timely fashion, whether you still have time to file a claim and whether the lawyer practiced with other attorneys. You should contact a law firm that has expereinced lawyers in probate and professional malpractice.

Additionally, the state bar association administers a Clients' Financial Assistance Fund that has funding available to compensate clients whose money has been improperly taken by a lawyer. You can get claim information by contacting:

Indiana State Bar Association

One Indiana Square, Suite 530

Indianapolis , IN 46204

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/07, 1:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Indiana