Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

How do you go about changing the deed to a house to a relative? My neice took care of her grandmother for over two years and her grandmother just got on medicaid and medicaid said to transfer the house and property to the neice. I am the power of attorney and I need to find out what I have to do to get this done.

Asked on 9/14/09, 1:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

I assure you is it untrue that Medicaid said the grandmother should transfer the house and property to the niece. For one thing, home ownership does not disqualify a person from Medicaid. If someone by monkeying around did convey title out of the grandmother's name to a third party, then Medicaid probably would be entitled to recover the house and may also be entitled to recover damages from the fiduciary (you) who caused the transfer. I suggest you spend a few hundred dollars of grandmother's money to confer with a lawyer experienced in elder law matters. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/09, 4:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana