Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

How can I get out of a mortgage when both mine and my exboyfriends name is on it? We are breaking up.

Asked on 9/11/09, 10:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

This question comes up over and over again. The time to have sought legal advice was when you were in the process of obtaining a loan and the property. It is much easier to prevent problems than to solve them. Whenever real estate is purchased a lawyer should be consulted regardless of what the real estate broker says.

You basically have to do one of two things. Discuss this with your ex and have him refinance the mortgage if his credit and income is appropriate, otherwise, the property needs to be sold.

If he does not qualify for a refinance and will not sell, you will have to sue for partition-an expensive proposition. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 9/11/09, 10:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana