Legal Question in Social Security Law in Indiana

Benefits for survivors and back support

My former husband died in a car accident this month. I believe he did not have life insurance. When do survivor benefits start for the our 2 children. He was approximately $12,000 behind in his child support at the time of his death. Are there any benefits that cover his back support due?

Thank you

Asked on 12/09/05, 9:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: Benefits for survivors and back support

Contact your local social security office as soon as you can to arrange for payment of applicable SSA survivor benefits. Your claim for child support arrearage should be made in the estate of the decedent, if an estate is opened. If you had a judgment for the support arrearage, then the decedent's tax refund, if any, could be intercepted. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/10/05, 8:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Indiana