Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

I have a daughter from a past relationship (never married) . She has turned 18 and my Child Support is over. Can her mother take me to court to issue me to pay for the medical over the last 18 years for her? I was unable to pay for medical/health care due to living paycheck to paycheck (also getting government help). I was under the assumption that if my job did not offer medical then I didn't have to cover it. I live in the state of Iowa and only was ordered to pay support with the Child Support Recovery Unit. I have always paid my support on her but yet the mother wouldn't allow me to see my child as a parent should. I wish I would've had the money to take her to court to get my rights but I never had the funds to do so. The child now wants nothing to do with me and her mother is telling her the reason was because I was going to take her and not bring her back. I have emails stating this etc. I'm so lost and stuck on what to do. I am even going to help pay for college for her even though I was told I didn't have to (but I don't care). Please help I have nowhere to turn to and no help. I really can't afford to talk to a lawyer at all yet. Thank you Chad out of Iowa!! Contact me at [email protected] (girlfriends and I email)

Asked on 7/09/13, 11:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

You do need an attorney if dear old Mom decides to try and get medical payback. What's important is not what you or she think, but what is in the custody and support agreement. If there's no custody and support agreement she has nothing.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 5:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa