Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

Changing a minor's name

My 10 year old son has my maiden last name. I have been married for 6 years now, and he would like to change his name. On his birth certificate, there is not a father listed. I have only had contact with his biological father on one occassion since my son's birth, and that was over 8 years ago. Paternity has never been established and I would prefer to keep it that way. Do I need to have ''permission'' from his father to change my son's name?

Asked on 1/05/04, 2:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bonnie Selby Bonnie J. Selby, Attorney at Law

Re: Changing a minor's name

When you Petition the court for change of name on the child's birth certificate, it will be necessary that you reveal the circumstances of his current name. You could present more problems for your child in the future by hiding this information. . .it's best to clear the record for the sake of your child.

Read more
Answered on 1/06/04, 8:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas