Legal Question in Administrative Law in Kentucky

My boyfriend was involved in an auto accident yesterday morning, he was driving up a major highway when a school bus came from the right side of the road, across the median, and pulled out in front of him. He slammed on his brakes and they locked up causing him to collide with the rear left side of the school bus. His truck is totaled and we have not been able to review the police report as it has not been filed yet. This morning we spoke to his auto insurance rep and the rep stated that there was no insurance coverage during the time frame due to delinquent payments. So without knowing who is at fault I'm not sure how to proceed. If the report claims he is at fault he will be liable for all damages. Luckily no one was hurt besides my boyfriend who has a fractured right ankle. I just need to know how to proceed and if a lawyer is necessary. We should be able to view the police report tomorrow morning.

Asked on 8/23/16, 10:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Morrin Morrin Law Office

One thing to look for in the police report is which vehicle the officer refers to as "Unit 1" since that is the vehicle the officer, at least initially, believes to be at fault. Depending on how much your boyfriend is charged in medical bills, he may want to pursue action against the fleet insurance provider for the bus fleet.

If he is able to pursue a claim then the first $10,000 will not be covered since his insurance lapsed. If the insurance/vehicle is under another's name, like his mom or dad's name, then he may be able to apply for benefits under the Kentucky Assigned Claims Plan.

If you are interested in a free case evaluation then please call my office at 859-358-0300 or email us at [email protected]

I hope this has helped and I wish you and your boyfriend all the best!

Read more
Answered on 8/31/16, 10:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Administrative Law questions and answers in Kentucky