Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

If my car was totalled in the Louisville flood and the insurance company paid the bank what the car was worth, am I still responsible for the balance since it was a natural disaster?

Asked on 8/10/11, 8:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

If you didn't have GAP coverage then, yes, you will have to pay the balance owed to the bank.

Whenever you finance a vehicle and will be upside down on the loan at some point, it is extremely important to carry GAP coverage. When a loss occurs, GAP insurance pays the difference between the value of the vehicle and the balance on your loan. Some policies will even pay your deductible, which you generally incur when the loss occurs as a result of some natural disaster or no-fault collision. Such as from flooding of the Ohio River... or hitting a deer on the Bluegrass Parkway!

Read more
Answered on 8/15/11, 5:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky