Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

During my previous marriage, my wife and I owned a business together. As capital began to run out, my wife applied up for several credit cards to keep the business going. The cards were mailed advertisements addressed to me, so she signed my signature and therefor the cards are in my name. She proceeded to spend thousands of dollars on cards I didn't know I had, which resulted in our divorce.

Having no cooperation from her, I filed an uncontested divorce. She verbally agreed to take on the business and therefor all credit cards associated with it. However, these are personal cards with my name on them and still appear on my credit report. Though she continues to pay them, it's been two years and I'd like these to be out of my name and off of my credit report. What are my options, considering that she continues to avoid responding to any communication whatsoever?

Asked on 10/14/10, 11:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

You say she "verbally agreed" to take on the business/credit cards? Please please please tell me you have that in writing, in the settlement agreement, incorporated into your dissolution of marriage...

Even so, if you did not specifically state that she needed to transfer that debt into her name, then you probably don't have any recourse. I suppose you could always argue that she forged your signature and therefore the cards are not valid, and you are not liable, but I think it's a bit late for that.

I would take all of your papers to an attorney to review and obtain a proper legal opinion on the matter. Without reviewing your divorce papers, I cannot do that.

Read more
Answered on 10/21/10, 7:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky