Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

I co-signed a car with my now, ex boyfriend. Is there any legal way to get the car/loan in his name only? I am unsure what area of law this covers.

Asked on 9/22/10, 10:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

Likely the loan would have to be refinanced, because the bank is not going to release you from the obligation. It doesn't hurt to ask, but the answer is certain to be "no.". If you needed to co-sign in the first place, that means his credit was not good enough to finance the vehicle himself. It's possible it won't be now either.

However, if the ex fails to make a payment, you will need to make the payment to protect your credit, and take swift legal action to recover from him.

Read more
Answered on 9/30/10, 8:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky