Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

change divorce agreement on alimony

At the time of my divorce,1 year ago, I could not afford an attorney to represent me. My ex husband is retired military. I am entitled to 50% of his retirement gross pay for the rest of my life. We were married for 21 years. But, he had his attorney write up in our divorce decree that he would only pay spousal support for 3 years. I needed the separation money we had agreed upon, while waiting for him to file for divorce, so badly that I had to agree with my ex spouse not to change anything at our court date or he would stop payments until our divorce was final. I thought that I would take him back to court when I was better able to hire an attorney to change this decree so I signed the divorce agreement at the time. I still cannot afford any attorneys I have found here in my town, so, my question is.

Since this is a simple request, can I get the proper forms to submit to the court here to get an appearance before the judge and explain all this to him so that I can get what the military law is very clear upon military retiree spousal support?

Asked on 9/19/02, 12:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: change divorce agreement on alimony

While nothing is ever that simple when it comes to the law, I am sure if you agree with an attorney to pay his fee from any back retirement he recovers, you can find one to represent you. There are no forms as such.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/02, 1:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana