Legal Question in Personal Injury in Louisiana

I was involved in an auto accident three months ago. The at-fault driver had a 15/30 policy and I have a 25/50 UM policy

I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back and at the moment my medical bills are nearing 20k, and I still have a long road of treatment ahead to get better. I have an attorney who has taken care of the payment of the bills thus far.

My question is this: I am a young woman, only 31. I anticipate that this injury will bother me for a lifetime. Can I go through my private medical insurance to get treatment, allowing me to at least get a small portion of my settlement for pain and suffering, or will I be required to spend all the settlement money before I am able to file through them?

I am so angry and confused at all this. My life has been turned upside down, I have lost income, as I have a photography business, and I was not at fault. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Asked on 5/07/13, 9:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

I suspect your health insurance with insist on you exhausting the auto policies before you can begin to use the health insurance. You have an attorney, so you should use him. Since you have UM coverage, you should check to see if you have Med-Pay coverage. It is usually $5 or $10 K but it will help. Med-Pay pays no matter how much coverage you have. I would call your health insurer and ask them if they will pay. They just might......

Read more
Answered on 5/09/13, 3:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Louisiana