Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Louisiana

My neice and I own jointly and equally a parcel of land we would like to sell. Do we need a form stating we agree to sell, the asking price,and what we are willing to accept for it?

Asked on 10/24/16, 9:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert

You would both need to agree to sell it and you would both have to sign the paperwork (purchase agreement, act of sale, etc.). If you can't agree, one of you would have to file a lawsuit to have a court partition the property (either by sale or by physical division of the land, if it is rural land subject to subdivision). If you do agree, one of you can get a power of attorney from the other allowing one of you to sign for both of you, but you both have to be on board. Any local attorney or even real estate agent should have all of the forms you need. My best advice is, if you don't already have a buyer, list it with a local realtor and they can show you what to do. If you already have a buyer and want to save the broker's commission, you can contact a local attorney who handles real estate closings and he will handle the paperwork for you.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/16, 10:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Louisiana