Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maine

Soon, I am going to preview an apartment offered to me from Public authorities.

The person, who handles my case called me and insisted to see and take this immediately otherwise Iíll be out of their least.

So, I have to break my current lease, damage drastically my good credit or just keep my current place for a two more months as well, so I can give a proper notice and save my credit but loose $1,000(2 months my current rent).

My question is any HUD regulation or other applicable law, which contains provisions for a decent civil acquisition in my case.. so I can give a proper notice to my current landlord and receive a promised help without lost?

Asked on 8/02/10, 8:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jerome Gamache Ainsworth Thelin & Raftice, P.A.

Your question about HUD regulation is too specific for me to answer. I would hope that the Public Housing people you are dealing with could help you with that aspect of your issue.

I can tell you that as to your current lease, your credit is harmed only by the reporting of a negative credit event. Unless your landlord is a larger corporation I question if a lease breach would even be reported. You can discuss with the Landlord your concern and perhaps negotiate something they agree is fair as they should be able to re-lease your apartment in less than 2 months.

I also suggest you contact Pine Tree Legal, they are look in the phone book, as they regularly assist low income people with housing issues.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/10, 5:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maine