Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maine


Hello we moved into a property dec 7,2016 and were notified friday that the building has an order against it from the town in maine we live in that no one is to reside here. Friday i recieved a call from the town that we have to leave monday which is tomorrow! The town is fully aware that we have been living here and i even spoke to the town manager feb 12 when my landlord refused to pay for oil and we were trying to get assistance to get oil after we had just paid him $900 in rent feb 1st. She never said anything about no one is to be in this place. Also ladt monday the fire chief who is also the acting code enforcement officer was with a gentleman who was trying to buy the property and knew no one was supposed to be here and said nothing. Several town officials said nothing until friday when i called asking for a copy of the order because i had heard from someone that day about it. There are 19 electrical violations, 14 various violations, no hardwired smoke detectors no carbon monoxide detectors and also AN EXTREME RISH OF ELECTROCUTION! The town official that contacted me wasnt even in the town office position that he has the right to tell us to leave. We have 8 small children no family in this state and no where to go. What are my recourses against the town and also the landlord? Also we are being forced to pay for the electricity for the apt bellow us. I have all texts from the landlord and his daughter who works for him and is on record she does. PLEASE I AM BEGGING FOR HELP

Asked on 3/19/17, 6:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Marchese Drummond & Drummond, LLP

You should call Pine Tree Legal Assistance. They do a lot of free landlord/tenant representation statewide. Their number is (207) 774-8211. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 3/20/17, 6:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maine