Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Maryland

While living in PA and married to my now ex-wife, my name was also on the contract for a new HVAC unit. She never paid for it. 9 months later we separated, she filed for and was granted bankruptcy. I was not involved in the bankruptcy filing. Then we became divorced. She owned the house and my name was not on the deed, she retained full ownership and I did not receive any payment from the increase in value of the property while we were married. She still lives there and enjoys the benefit of the new HVAC unit.

Since then I have moved into my father's house in MD. I have received a notice of judgement against me for it, and now they are threatening sheriff seizure of property. I do not have the money to pay the debt, and own almost nothing.

My worry is that they may seize my father's personal property (TV, computer, tolls, etc.) if he cannot prove it is his. Can/will they do this?

Asked on 6/30/13, 10:00 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas Valkenet Young & Valkenet

Didn't you have a lawyer? Did you file a claim against her in the bankruptcy? And in what state is the HVAC judgment? Is it from a PA court? Has it been registered as a MD judgment?

Read more
Answered on 6/30/13, 7:41 pm
Brett Weiss The Weiss Law Group

Unless your father in some way agreed to guarantee payment for the HVAC unit, his assets cannot be attached.

You may want to consider filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy to make this go away.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/13, 8:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Maryland