Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

I was involved in an accident on 11/15/2015 where I hit and killed a person. The police were called and I was determined not to be criminal at fault. Geico was my insurance and they canceled my policy, however they state that the accident is shared liability with me being 45% responsible and the other party 55% responsible. Geico is not willing to fight this claim and are going to pay out $30,000 in Bodily injury. Geico stated that they will provide a release of compensatory damages to me however can the persons family can sue me for punitive damages after receiving the bodily injury? What should I do to prepare myself if they sue? I have no indication that they will sue at this time. I am unemployed and currently waiting on a SSDI approval. I live with my wife and 2 kids my wife is the sole financial provider at this time.

Asked on 7/19/16, 12:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

This is not a criminal question. You should repost in an insurance defense or civil litigation forum.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/16, 5:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland