Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

My brother died leaving me and my niece as beneficiary of his saving account. Both or our names are on the account however my last name is spelled wrong on the document and my niece's name is spelled right. The bank is refusing to give us access to the money because my last name is spelled totally wrong and the bank is saying that because the document has the word and dividing our names they have to give us the money at the same time. I am his only living sibling but because my last name is spelled wrong we are unable to get the money that was left to us. What can I do?

Asked on 2/05/11, 3:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

Consult a probate attorney.

Read more
Answered on 2/05/11, 7:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland