Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

IIn Maryland, for probate without a will,if assets were supposed to be distributed to a child, but the child can't be located by the personal representative (but is not dead), what happens to the assets?

Asked on 12/09/10, 10:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Abraham Abraham & Bauer, LLC

It is not enough to say the heir cannot be located. The PR also should examine hiring an investigator, heir locator service etc. The missing child's share of the net estate should not be distributed to other heirs. Remember the PR also has a duty to safeguard assets.

Read more
Answered on 12/15/10, 5:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland